Tuesday 22 January 2013

Review - Obsidian (Lux, Book 1), Jennifer Arementrout

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.


With a cover like that you can probably guess that Obsidian offers swoon by the bucket-load, danger by the ton, and just about everything else that has YA readers everywhere weak at the knees.

Following Daemon Black and Katy Swartz, Obsidian is less of a typical fantasy love story and more of a -drop-kick-you-in-the-heart, jaw dropping, bare-knuckle kind of whirlwind that'll have you sighing with swoon and taut with tension in equal measure. Oh, and there's aliens. You heard her. Aliens.

The story line for the whole Lux series is awesome and while Armentrout technically calls her extraterrestrial race 'aliens', she writes them in such a way that the idea of little green men wont even cross your mind. The Luxen are beautiful, freaky powerful forces of light who just so happen to have chosen the human form of sexy as hell American teenagers.

The baddies, because there's always baddies, are an equally dangerous alien race called the Arun; forces of darkness. Obsidian is very much the battle of light versus dark and it's actually quite refreshing to read something that keeps it in the family in terms of species. Don't get me wrong, I love me a good vampires vs werewolves, but theres something much more intense about civil war. More deception, more betrayal, and nearly matching abilities, making for some heart pounding fight scenes.

Alien Daemon and human Katy ('Kitten') are both really likable main characters (one more than the other, jus' sayin') and while there is no doubt that the story is based around their will they/wont they relationship, theres enough action to keep things spiced up on the ass kicking front, too. And more importantly, the story line is interesting. So many YA books let the relationship completely dominate the narrative but Obsidian lets the drama surrounding the Luxen race take equal reign.

It's very well written, too. Not too preppy or high school inner-monology, but with just enough teen angst to plant its feet well and truly in the YA genre.

I really enjoyed reading this opening in the Lux series and genuinely can't think of anything I don't like about it. For that reason its getting a rare 5 out of 5. Original, sexy, tense; Perfect YA.