Thursday 24 January 2013

Review - Onyx (Lux, Book 2), Jennifer Armentrout

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…


Alriiiiight, so you know in my review of the first Lux book, Obsidian, I wen't off on one about how great and refreshing the storyling is for this series? Yeah, I'm doing that again.

I wont cover the main characters too much, go and read the first review, but Daemon remains heart cripplingly swoonworthy, Katy is still heart cripplingly swooning, and the rest of the Blacks remain a stable contstant, adding to the storyline where needs be.

However, we do meet a new character in Onyx and that is Blake Saunders from sunny California. Blake conveniently turns up at school during a rather tumultuous time in the story line and conveniently takes an immediate liking to Katy, Daeman conveniently doesn't trust him, and Blake conveniently ends up confessing his knowledge of the Luxen, the Arum, and the DOD, conveniently offering to help Katy with a few... issues she has going on. Convenient. (really trying not to give away the story line here).

So anyway, that alone should give you a pretty good clue as to how good the storyline for the second instalment in the Lux series is. There is A TON more stuff going on than just that and the whole thing is just an action packed, romance filled, alien orgy. Its great.

There are a few gasp moments that I didn't see coming and a few 'awww come on' moments that I saw a mile off (Will, anyone?). Not that it spoils the flow of things. Armentrout is really good at sneaking in bits of information then distracting you with a completely different direction in the story line that doesnt leave you with a constant of obvious plot points.

Naturally, the relationship between Katy and Daemon progresses and the thing I love about it is that its not like BANG we're in love. Katy, although at times she slips slightly into the I-make-dumbass-decisions type of heroin I dislike, generally seems to have her wits about her and doesn't go diving head first a pool of Daemon. The same applies to him, too. History with his brother's death over his relationship with a human puts Daemons guard up and while you know that ultimately they will confess their undying love for eachother, the journey they take to get there is actually really nice.

Loved Onyx just as much as I loved Obsidian, maybe even more. Another rare (though becoming less rare) 5 out of 5 stars.